The snow is far enough in the past that I can start posting some of these pictures. We we returned home to Pullman from RI (including 5 days of travel to get there), the garage doors were blocked by drifts several feet thick. As you can see on the ground, this is what remained after some significant melting. On the plus side, less snow to shovel. On the minus, the remaining snow had some heft. I didn't need to go to the gym to work off holiday calories. I originally took this picture to document the drift. After a couple hours of shoveling, I needed it to remind me I was making progress. As a side note to myself, I find that I am often documenting things with pictures. The snapshot mentality of capturing memories rather than trying to convey a message has been strongly
reinforced by pathology training. In that line of work, the picture is used to "document" and little value has been placed on composition. Besides, as a science oriented individuals, sometimes we place too much weight on facts and loose our intuitive nature to a degree. Something for me to work on.

When you have lemons... I tried to look at the tree in our back yard a little differently in the snow. Worked pretty well until an unexpected gust liberated the branches of their burden.
A little closer look at the snow. Snowflakes are fascinating, but they do some cool stuff when they hit the ground.
Another picture from my doorstep. Sage and I like to "look at the colors" that the sky provides. It is fun to discuss what colors are in a sunrise with a 2 year old. After mentioning it a couple times this fall, we spend much of our car rides together discussing what we see in the sky and the hills. I know the composition isn't that great, but sometimes pictures mean more to the photographer than the viewer. As a note, I need to learn to do panoramas in photoshop or invest in a wide angle lens. The amount of the indigo sky is diminished by the crop.
To each of us remaining warm, safe, and healthy as the light slowly returns.
K
1 comment:
I'd disagree about composition in pathology pictures. Just because many people don't value proper composition doesn't mean it's not important! Think about which pictures make it to Ames - theoretically, the ones with both a good lesion and good composition.
Post a Comment